For this week’s Galaxy S5 ROM of the Week, check out latest CM11 ROM. They actually have been around for few months now but I was reluctant to recommend them as camera wasn’t working. Recently, camera has been fixed, which I am sure many of you guys need to run as daily driver.
This CM11 ROM is not official but still will get you the ability to run pure Google OS without TouchWiz. And no, you will lose all of your TouchWiz features as CM11 ROM is an AOSP ROM (What is AOSP?).
Now, CM11 ROM can be installed on most Galaxy S5 models, any S5 with Qualcomm-based processor. But does not work with locked bootloaders and SafeStrap recovery, which means you won’t be able to install it if you have retail version of AT&T or Verizon Galaxy S5.
Supported Galaxy S5 models:
- SM-G900F, SM-G900I, SM-G900M, T-Mobille SM-G900T, Sprint SM-G900P, and Canadian SM-G900W8
- If your model is not listed, it may still work if you have Qualcomm-based Galaxy S5 (like US Celluar) but DO NOT INSTALL if you have Exynos-model SM-G900H as it will HARD BRICK YOUR PHONE! YOU’VE BEEN WARNED!
- If you have developer’s edition of AT&T SM-G900A or Verizon SM-G900V, you can install it but if you have regular, retail version, you cannot install as your bootloader is unlocked and CM11 ROM does not work with SafeStrap Recovery. (If you feel sad about this, send AT&T and Verizon a letter that you want your bootloader unlocked on a device you paid full price for!!!)
CM11 ROM for Galaxy S5 has pretty much everything working out of the box except NFC and 4K recording. If NFC/4K recording is an issue to you because you use Google Wallet daily, this isn’t going to be a daily driver for you. But if you don’t really use NFC all that much like myself, CM11 ROM is pretty stable enough with blazing-performance and fair battery life. (Make sure you set Display timeout to 30 seconds after installing ROM, I found that it was set to 1 minute and reason why it was draining battery.)
UPDATE: NFC actually works on all models now except Sprint, which should be fixed also soon!
UPDATE2: NFC is actually a bit buggy please re-download the ROM (update) and install over to avoid freezes.
Battery life is pretty decent, there’s no Ultra Power Saving mode but for an unofficial nightly release, it will get you through a full day no problem. I would say battery life is about same as stock TouchWiz firmware.
Calls works fine except there was just one time where dialer froze on me (calls still worked) for couple seconds. I haven’t had another issue after that but proximity sensor works also flawless, screen turns off when you are talking and turns back on when you take the phone away from your ears.
Of course, you can easily turn your Galaxy S5 into OnePlus One with the HighOnAndroid OnePlus One conversion kit, works flawless on my S5. Also I really like the OnePlus One camera, which gives you HDR mode along with Hexo theme and Audio FX is great for tweaking your sound, much better than default CyanogenMod DSP Manager.
Overall, I do highly recommend CM11 ROM (plus HighOnAndroid OnePlus One Conversion kit) for daily driving. It’s not perfect but if you don’t mind NFC/4K recording (to be fixed in future), CM11 ROM is a lot of fun to turn your Galaxy S5 into a Nexus/OnePlus One device. So, definitely give it a go this week(end) and do let me know what you think!
Download CM11 ROM for Galaxy S5 (update) (For all SM-G900F, SM-G900I, SM-G900M, T-Mobille SM-G900T, Sprint SM-G900P, and Canadian SM-G900W8)
Download Android 4.4.4 Gapps [You can use Stock or Micro]
To install, reboot into recovery, make backup ROM, wipe data/factory reset, install ROM, install Gapps, install Conversion Kit, and reboot. (If for some reason you end up in a bootloop or get force-closed keyboard error on boot, reboot into CWM recovery, go to Mounts & Storage->format /system. For TWRP, go to Wipe->Advanced Wipe->Wipe /system.)
First time installing a custom ROM? See How to Install Custom ROM on Galaxy S5!
Credits – XDA user albinoman887 for awesome CM11 ROM! <— Please donate to the developer or hit Thanks button on XDA if you like it, thx!
The HighOnAndroid OnePlus One Conversion kit also works on any Android smartphone or tablet running CM11 ROM, see How to Convert your Android Smartphone into OnePlus One!
- Want latest Android L Preview Keyboard? See How to Install Android L Preview Keyboard on rooted Android!
- Want Flash Player? See How to Install Flash Player on Android 4.4.2/4.4.3 KitKat!
- If you want some awesome audio, check out Viper4Audio FX MOD, which you can install on this ROM to enhance your music 100%.
- If you want to run your apps in tablet/hybrid/custom DPI mode, see our Xposed App Settings guide.
- If you want PIE Controls, see our LMT Pie Control guide.
- Need to run apps that check for root? Check out How to Run Apps that’s don’t run on rooted Android!
- Want to listen to YouTube music with screen off? Check out How to Playback YouTube videos with Screen-Off!
- Need multi-window? Check out How to Add Multi-Window to Any Rooted Android!
Q: My 3G/4G LTE data is not working!!!
A: See How to Fix 3G/4G LTE data by Manually Setting APN on Android!
Q: I don’t have Play Store nor any of the Google apps!
A: You forgot to install Gapps, reboot into recovery and install it! (See above for download.)
Q: The ROM is not booting!
A: Try formatting /system and re-install ROM, sometimes the system partition gets corrupt and you may have to try 2 or 3 times before the ROM boots.
Q: How can I thank you for your tutorial?
A: I don’t take donations but if you could PLEASE subscribe to my Zedomax YouTube channel, that would help me greatly and thank you!